May 27-31, 2013, 10:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Public Showing: May 31, 2013, 3:30 PM
Ryerson University - Kerr Hall South (40 Gould Street, across from Balzac's Cafe)
Engage in Kaeja Elevations, improvisation and creative enquiry. Participants will collaborate in building a piece with one of the Kaeja's throughout the workshop.
All participants can expect to dance, fly, be elevated, create, collaborate and perform. Open to professional and pre-professional dancers, or individuals with a similar intensive physical training with a thirst for partnering, investigation and the creative process.
(10 - 11:30 AM) A beautiful warm up/class that gets you juicy and ignited, focused on finding the floor to support the architecture of flight in your solo and duet. Open to all. Drop-in's for a small fee are welcome.
(11:45-1:15 AM) Kaeja Elevations with Allen Kaeja. Allen's risky, yet grounded approach is "charged and surging with energy…. vehemently delivering every breathtaking movement and elevation." (MONDOMagazine). Previous experience in CI or Elevations not necessary to take this workshop, basics will be taught while offering continued training from previous Elevation workshops. This portion of the morning will have an emphasis on moving into flight and an introduction to creation with elevations. (Wednesday workshop will be improvisation with Karen Kaeja)
(1:45 - 3:30 PM) Creation process with either Karen (ensemble engagement of physical inquiry harnessing personal material) or Allen Kaeja (Kaeja Elevations)
(3:30 - 4:30 PM) - Optional free studio space available to participants for personal or related projects. Mentoring with Karen or Allen as desired.
3:30 PM - Friday May 31, 2013
- pre-registration required for full (11:45 onwards) workshop (limited enrolment, application with biography required. No audition required).
- please indicate which creative process for afternoon you would like to participate in - either with Karen or Allen
- indicate if you would like use of afternoon studio space and why
- 2 partial scholarships available
- Kaeja d'Dance seeks one scribe for morning classes in exchange for afternoon creation process participation